Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Movie Time


After a humorous debate with a family friend on what movie to watch tonight, I ended up playing The Notebook based on popular demand [I was shooting for “Friends with money”]
The movie has an animated beginning, I quickly fell in love with the heroin, as for the hero, I wasn’t convinced with his casting at first but again, he grows on you by the scene.
As the story develops, I found myself wanting to stay in the story within the story, eagerly waiting the moments of retrospection of the epic love story.

I noticed a lot of symbolism in the movie like the choice of clothing, colors and hairstyles as well the dynamic use of scenic setting, were depicting the state of turmoil the two were struggling with. [The family friend would argue and accuse me of looking to deep into it, the Irony is that we're both Literature majors]
So as the plot thickens, my interest began to shift on the lives of the aged lovers, how the devoted Noah challenged his beloved’s irreversible dementia disorder in order to hang onto the thinnest threat of the divine unity they shared over 3 decades ago. [Even the choice of the name of the hero Noah, rebuilding his house to get his lady who's the only thing that's left to him after he lost the closest 2 people he knew, His Father & Best Friend, not to mention losing Alie once before]
Those scenes of the aged lovers are very emotionally charged, the acting is heartbreaking and oh so original.
Before the end, I found myself so drawn into the movie, every sense was captured and towards the last minutes I fought the urge to sob and just released a few tears.. [ok maybe a few more]


2 thumbs up without hesitation
This adaptation of the novel was sensational and heart warming….
I should definetly give romances more chances next time..
UPDATE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do not Waste your time or money on "FRIENDS WITH MONEY"
Slow start, no progression not even a climax! Forget about unwinding of a plot cos there is no one. Yes it is an indie-movie and I appreciate the effort that's put into this however a Good cast/acting never guarantees a good movie and surely not with a loose stagnant story such as this.
Though it is worth mentioning that the director managed to capture the rut in routine wether by highlighting the pathetic life Jennifer Aniston (The Single pothead Maid) or by zooming into the lives of the couples and their different problems that are created in the routine vacuum where nothing really happens, where the serious elements of what makes or breaks a relationship such as communication is overshadowed by the material standards they set for themselves to compensate for what truly lacks in their lives..
Which gets me thinking why I never ever seek any material thing with passion. I'm sure I'm missing on something, I hear my friends saying things like "Finally, I got the PDA I ordered" or "I got myself one of those limited handbags"..at one point I felt materially attached to my Camera but thats about it, and even that has faded with time..I know its a blessing but exactly how much am I missing here?
What is the one thing that you really really want to get your hands on and what's your most valuable posession would be the hardest to give up?
* Think of it as an Eid wishlist!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAST WEEKEND's MENU UPDATE
Asparagus Frittata with Edam and Some funky swiss cheese
4KGSerloin Roast stuffed with garlic & roasted Baby Carrots, shallots & potatoes (To be honest it was rather dry, because I kept on opening and checking on it and the hot air got in and spoilt the 2hr roast) I've never been the roaster more of a BBQer..15KD wasted! yullah fidwa..
Again Garlic/Lemon/Yoghurt Grilled chicken & Wild Rice Risotto with Tomato sauce (Daqqoos)
The Rissotto was boiled in the bonemass of the Roast (Beef STOCK) which gave it the rich flavor and texture that worked well with the wild rice that sometimes comes out dry, not this time!
Again Goat cheese & Pesto Pizza (I made 2 thin and 1 deeppan based on popular demand, the deeppan was hiddious, the dough is made for skinny pizza..though they delightedly ate it all)

11 Comments:

Blogger Fuzzy said...

great review, now i need to watch that movie :) cheers

10:42 PM  
Blogger 3abeer said...

I'm not keen on watching romantic movies because I get heartbroken and teary.. but now I'm eager to watch this one.

Amazing depiction of the movie.
Great job :)

12:38 AM  
Blogger Chai-7aleeb said...

I HAVE TO RUN NOW AND GET THIS MOVIE FOR THE WEEKEND.THANKS FOR THE TIP.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Flamingoliya said...

it's a fave.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Mama Fusla said...

Fuzzy, 3abeer & Chai
Lemme know how it goes

Flamingoliya
Good 2 c u

12:45 PM  
Blogger Flamingoliya said...

the hardest: my pictures. history is irreplaceable.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should be a contributor editor for Alef Magazine.

www.alefmag.com

5:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The poster keefaia

9:39 AM  
Blogger Mama Fusla said...

Flamingia
Hardest you say? Is it whois in the pictrures that is missed or the memory captured?
Can sometimes mean two different things..

Anonymous
Alef sounds fab but the idea cracks me up the same as when my friend last month asked me to be a on the judging pannel for a fashion show..Me+Fashion=Zambalee6a

The days in which I wore out Harpers & Collezoni are over, the scavanging days in vintage stores and the endless strolls up and down Noho, Soho, Nolita and other oddly abbreviated streets in London & NY are now a blurrr..
The mama you see today is comfy in her 3/4ers, berkies and polo Ts with hair bundled up..

عاجل
I know!!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Conjii said...

its true the film is incredible..

3:41 AM  
Blogger Flamingoliya said...

i meant the "whois" but nevertheless, both are important.

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home