Saturday, August 21, 2004

I am an involentary Office Potato






This Saturday will be different, I have a plan to do something. I will explain why my Saturdays are so boring…

Saturday to me spell a number of things:

Being tired after a crazy weekend
Being bored
Calling everyone to make sure they have survived last weekend
Questioning what I’m doing in this office, country, continent and planet.
Calling a dear friend to bitch and complain about one thing or another but most of the time it’s about my job.
Planning my next weekend
Promise to quit coffee and do more Yoga.



Everyone in Kuwait complains about their jobs, about having a crude boss or routine job or long hours. My situation is a bit different; I do not have a boss. No one tells me what to do and or when to do it. My boss chooses to simply ignore me, leaving me a victim of my own mind to sit and try to innovate ways to kill 10hrs/day.

This is what I do from 8-6 everyday:
News, news and more news, Google everything and everything Google.
Chat on msn, chatterbox and bulletin boards.
Spend 1 hr reading coffee and drinking newspapers.
Send out 1 e-mail a day regarding work, total time from conception of e-mail topic to clicking send varies from 1-5mins (Summing up my productivity rate for the day)
Chat with friends on the phone, discuss following topics:
Why my job is boring
Why her job is boring
Why our lives are boring
Get bored of conversation and then hang up.
Play text twist
Surf conspiracy theory websites like Rense.com and come up with my own conspiracy of the day on why Internet was down, or why there is a dust storm.
Stare at the books in my office about starting own business for dummies and business plan made easy books.
Delete junk mail, open letters of invitations from startup companies, recruiters and consultants from Dubai and Lebanon that want to steel even more business from Kuwait, throw away junk mail and feel guilty about not recycling.
Google combinations of random words like: +green, +nipple, +communist, link results to conspiracy theory and then dismiss feeling not-so-lucky!
Search Bayt.com and other failed regional headhunter websites and check if a new feature like “cool & unconventional jobs near you” option has been added or not.
Blog the living lights out of me.
Thank the stars for internet.

I really can win an Oscar for the role of “The woman who convinced the world she was working”.
Another 3 months of this and I will be out of here, my 1 yr will be done. I would have paid my debt to society. I will be able to impress the next employer with that 1 yr experience. 1 year would have passed for working in a bureaucratic dung-den with insecure power-hungry greedy manipulative Novo Riche Kuwaiti dimwits.
I look forward to NOTblogging from my next job or blogging strictly for work related purposes. Blogging to me represents being bored at work. Hating your job is underrated, it is a horrible experience to wake up feeling enslaved by a system, feel unproductive and replaceable. Also earning money for doing nothing is nasty business and insanely addictive.

2day however will be different
I've already outlined a story line for my Documentary Film
Began outlining my fesability study for the business that I've been thinking about for over 2 years now.

I have learned 1 thing from being alive which is to always be cynical and negative, skim through all the posibilities of shit going down and then look at all the ways of making things less shitty, living each day at and always end up with a positive thought.

My positive thought for the day is: Not all Saturdays will be this shitty, I have experienced a good Saturday before and I will sure as hell experience one to come..



13 Comments:

Blogger Purgatory said...

What you say rings a bell.

3:54 AM  
Blogger Purgatory said...

Destroy the establishment and let us free.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Mama Fusla said...

I will quit the 2nd I find another job.
Besides, I need atleast 1 yr on my resume. All my other work experiences have been short-term and project-based and potential employers frown upon that.

Here is my idea of a cool job:

-Training orangoutangs how to play basketball
-Or maintain a Weather Station somewhere in Patagonia.
-Ship Wreck observer, dive and note the shifts in position of some Ancient Greek Wreck.
-Photojournalist survey of North Africa's Berber tribes.

A travel job is a perfect job in my book, what's yours?

11:21 PM  
Blogger Amunki said...

I can (more than) relate. In the same boat we are... So here's a little haiku for you (and me).


Saturday once more
Post-weekend reality
Chin-up baby girl...

12:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Mama Fusla

1- I am so glad to know that others feel the same.
2- I would had liked to post my Sat. Blues yesterday , but I had the blues very bad so i couldnt.
3- Trust me your job does not sound that bad. At least it gives time to explore other things, it is very evident in your writings.

Pls pass on intersting sites.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Mama Fusla said...

Terima kasih banyak-banyak Haiku Priestess

12:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

May b u should recite my Working Days Prayer every morning. I was told my prayers do work.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Mama Fusla said...

Can you post it here so other Fuslites can enjoy?

12:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Mama fusla
I it is posted on mosanmosan.blogspot.com it was my 1st entery. This prayer inspired the whole thing.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Mama fusla
I it is posted on mosanmosan.blogspot.com it was my 1st entery. This prayer inspired the whole thing.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Mama Fusla said...

My friend
I have compiled a list of my favorite links but unfortunetly, I lost it.

Don't you hate it when you get an error msg that says "do you wish to debug" if you say no, browser closes and you lose everything. They might as well have the option "Lose all your unsaved data quick and painless"

urghh..

but you needn't worry, ookadeet it to me my droog..I will have plenty of razzied time to oobivate here at work to surf & eegra

A great way to kill time is to speak like a Nadsat http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/1974/nadsat.html

For now I will recite Mosan Mosan's Weekend Prayer:
May the weather be on our side, make it pool/beach kind of weather. Let the dust go away and the sun be kind and the sea be smooth. Make the weekend fun, full of gorgeous people, fun gatherings and plenty of laughter with dear friends... Otherwise dvd’s, dvd’s and more dvd’s. Amen.

A thought :
Some of you will think its too early for a weekend prayer…. but trust me visitors, it is never too soon cause in Kuwait we live from weekend to weekend.. ..… bling bling


---------------------------------------------------

1:23 AM  
Blogger Rampurple said...

So let me get this straight... u have my job? a job that involves you to do absolutely nothing?

I have gotten so depressed from my job, that i don't come into the office anymore, unless i am called in, i do whatever work i got and ditch... and if i have nothing better to do, i blog.

sigh

10:00 AM  
Blogger Mama Fusla said...

Ram
My heart goes out to you, a boring job can drive you mad. There is a misconcepion that a person is blessed if they don't have a demanding job. Not true, a boring job can slowly numb you out and eventually kill your ambitions.


GranmaFunk
That sounds nifty!
but u still need to love ur job

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home